Teaching and online Skype/Zoom lessons
Sunniva has been teaching privately and group workshops for the past ten years in Sweden, England and the US. She teaches accordion lessons, composition and songwriting, folk singing and folk repertoire lessons in person and over Skype.
All levels welcome!
Rate: $ 60 per 60 minute lesson.
Areas of teaching:
Swedish and Celtic folk music and song + other folk styles
Modal improvisation and free improvisation
Sunniva’s selected academic studies include:
- Masters of Music, Contemporary Improvisation (Academic Honors), New England Conservatory, Boston, US.
- BA Jazz at Leeds College of Music (1st Class Honours), UK, majoring in composition.
- BA in Pedagogy (subject – music), University of Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Deep Listening Level 1, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, US.
- Jazz Performance course, 1 year full-time. Birka Folkhögskola, Sweden.
- General Course of Music, 1 year full-time. Ljungskile Folkhögskola, Sweden.
- Course in Ethnomusicology at Uppsala university, Sweden.
- Course in Music Industry at Kalmar University, Sweden.
- Course in Music Archaeology at Linnéuniversitetet, Sweden.
Quotes from students:
“I am a 70 year old accordion novice and Sunniva has helped me learn the basics of technique and interpretation starting with Swiss folk songs. Her deep knowledge of world music has brought enormous richness to my life.”
“Sunniva has the unique ability to truly understand where a student is at, and identify what they most need to learn, in a holistic manner that takes into account not only technique and theory, but artistry and approach. She translates the great skill, expressiveness and beauty in her own playing into lessons which light a musical path for students of all levels. As her student, I felt seen, heard, and welcomed into a safe space for learning, experimentation, mistakes and growth, and I’m always grateful for her teaching.”
“Sunniva is a wonderful teacher, empathetic and nurturing. She is
great at shaping what she does to suit her students, no matter their
“I experienced Sunniva’s teaching in a small group at a music camp. I found her teaching to be more comprehensive and personally attentive than I expected: she addressed the way my straps were adjusted, the position of my left hand on the accordion, the tension in my left hand, and potentially the optimal size of accordion for me. Her manner was easy, patient, generous, and thorough. Her musical knowledge was extensive, not only in her beautiful performance of the repertoire, but especially in the complex chord patterns she taught us, which colored the music so evocatively, and in the expressive way in which she uses the bellows. I came away with a lot of new things to work on!”